Saturday, September 18, 2010

What I would've missed...


A friend told me about a conversation she had with another friend regarding our third adoption this week. The conversation was questioning if we had room in our "small house" for another child. This question is ridiculous on a lot of levels. First, I wish this person would bring their concerns directly to me so that I could address the issue myself. Secondly, this is the typical home in Ethiopia (or at least the region Micah is from). Not huge. I don't think we are doing him any harm.

Or, an orphanage in China. Is this a great place for a child to grow up?

But, most of all, I think about what I would've missed out on if I would have let my "small house" dictate my decisions. If I would've missed what God called me to. Look at these faces...do they look like they are missing out on a big mansion somewhere? No thanks. I will take my little house and my happy kids. You can keep your comfort and I'll keep the kids.





Footnote to my rant: I know full well that not everyone is called to adopt. That's not what I'm trying to say. Also, living in a big house isn't wrong. It's just the insinuation that I need to that is objectionable



6 comments:

Ethiopia...part of our world said...

I am really glad that you didn't let a small house (even though it is not that small)stop you. Not only would you have missed it, but I would have missed out on being their aunt. My world is soooooo much better with them in my life!!

Lauren said...

Great post. I love them babies and can't wait for more!
And I also feel the need to point out that you would have missed out on me too if only people who lived in big houses could have big families. I slept on a crib mattress on the floor for lots of years of my life. Then I moved into your bed. Soooo my theory is big families and small houses make for close families.

kendra moberly said...

good girl!!! you adopt as many kids as God says and if you run out of room, they can stay with me! :)

Work in progress said...

I think you fabulously made your point with the hut picture! And how many times has it seemed there is an inverse relationship between the amount of stuff given and the amount of love? Somebody has to work a lot of hours to support all that "stuff;" doesn't always leave a lot of time... Granted the "pull" for stuff is great in this country. (I am far too often afflicted myself...)

Heatherlynn said...

WELL said!

Anonymous said...

The "need" for big houses seems to be somewhat of an American cultural "thing". We have had a lot of friends from Germany visit, and ask, "Why do you Americans think you need such big houses? Big cars? Big everything?!"
Kids need love - not space. I think that living in a small space makes for a very cuddly, cozy family!!