Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Choose your title


  • The no go horrible, good for nothing day
  • Are you FAAA-REAKING kidding me
  • Taking out the weakest member
  • and lastly...Mom's quote "This is why I didn't want to come!"
We went to tour a Buddist temple today...yada yada yada. Nothing much reportable. We then went to a factory where they make a lot of the traditional items from Inner Mongolia. We shopped for quite a while. Silas was a trooper! A lama at the temple had given him a small loaf of bread and he happily sat in the stroller (spoiler alert) eating his bread. We got some souvenirs and headed back to the hotel. We discovered that our room hadn't been cleaned, and when you live in a hotel room 24/7, it needs a good cleaning. We asked to have it cleaned and decided to take a walk to the store to get some chocolate, I mean milk for Silas...it was all about Silas.

We got our milk and put Silas back in the stroller. We haven't been buckling him in because he loves to ride in it and we are stupid. HE FELL OUT OF THE STROLLER. ON HIS HEAD. He had a huge gaping, bleeding, meatly looking cut. The store owners came out and told us (I think) to come back in and got us kleenexes. The man signaled for me to follow him with Silas. We walked into what looked like a clinic or pharmacy. He couldn't find what he was looking for so we went into another building. In my head, I had a vision of them stitching up my kid in a foreign country and just decided to head back to the hotel for help. We asked the other American family at the hotel what they thought we should do. We all decided that stitches might be in order under normal circumstances, but that the trauma and uncertainty involved wasn't worth the possible trauma involved. We pulled out the medical kit that I brought and tried to put together some sort of workable solution.

We prayed. Mom went to the lobby and asked if they had a medical kit. The concierge came up with a big metal box with some stuff in it. I asked him if he was trained. "Me? No.First time." He applied betadine and this medicine and wrapped it up. It was just a horrible, horrible feeling. I didn't know how to comfort him well enough. This kid has experienced so much in a few days and it was just traumatic. It was also a bit scary because we are just vulnerable without language skills. So, when you see Silas with a huge scab or scar on his forehead, just know that happened on my watch.

8 comments:

Amy said...

Are You Freakin kidding me!!!! Aimee, I am so sorry this happened, this would about do me in. I would not have been able to handle that well. Still praying for you all, can't wait to see you~

Amy

Donna Marchand said...

He looks like a tough little guy! Someday, it will be a story he will laugh about. Hang in there and get home safely! Praying for a calm rest of the way.
Hugs.

Sara G said...

Make sure you can wake him up every now and then, check his pupils. If he's dizzy or throwing up, get him someone.......those Chinese people are smart you know! :-) Praying diligently sista! I can't imagine your state of mind!

Philippians 4:7
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Anonymous said...

Head wounds alway BLEED ALOT more than other wounds. This happens to all the BEST Mommy's. He will be fine and so will you. Keep your faith strong. I know it really stinks when your to blame for your kid getting hurt, BEEN THERE More than I can count. In a wisper " I lie to poison control now, I'm afraid they will take my kids if I give them a real name" ;) Sending hugs to you all. Hope to see that cutie when you get home.

Rosalyn said...

Hang in there Aimee...

Anonymous said...

Praying for you all today. Love reading about your adventures. tony and lou paladino

Sharon said...

Hang in there, Aimee, and get some sleep already - I'm tired just reading these posts :) You are a fabulous mom - one of the very best out there. He'll be fine - just make sure he always has bangs :) We're praying for you - safe trip home.

Lindsay H. said...

Poor Aimee. Poor Silas. He'll heal. Consider it a "bonding opportunity." And remember that chocolate (and kisses) heal all. In that order, of course.
xoxox