Saturday, May 14, 2011

Aimee's First (proxy) Post

...and by that, I mean she authored it ; )

Flight & Day One:

The flight was pretty uneventful for the most part. Mom and I both tried to take some Ambien to be able to sleep for a chunk of time. No go. We were both just really tired, but couldn’t sleep sitting up. It was a rough landing. But, all in all, it wasn’t horrible.

We went through customs without incident, got our bags and met our driver, who would take us to the Shepherds Field (the orphanage where Silas’ lives). The driver spoke no English at all, so we had no idea how long it would take to get to the orphanage. It took about an hour. When we did finally arrive, Silas was standing in the courtyard waiting for us. I pictured us pulling up and going to find him where he was busy engaging in everyday activity and observing him in his element for a while - didn’t go down that way. Sara, the coordinator, held him for about 5 minutes and then said, “okay, I’m gonna hand him over to you. There is a crib in your room.” So, there you have it. He cried for a very few minutes and then was pretty quiet, but not crying. He slept great. Mom and I were up every couple hours, but managed to make it until 5ish before I got up to try to get in touch with Dan and the kids. We were able to Skype this morning once before Silas got up and then again when he could join the fun. We’ve had a few smiles and some good interactions this morning already. He will come to me and put his hands up for me to hold him, which is good.

I’m still feeling pretty weepy and emotional about being here without my family. Praying that I can be in the moment and just enjoy here now and at the same time praying it goes by really fast!

2 comments:

stryd said...

praying for you guys!

Sara G said...

you go girl! You are with family..........Silas! You, Him, God and Mom............just doing a road trip! :-) Diligently praying. Time to go home will be here before you know it. You can spend time learning as much about Silas and his first home as you can so you can share some of those stories with him. You can do this sista!