Saturday, March 6, 2010

First Haircut Southern Style

...the after shot



It's a tricky thing sometimes being a white mom of an African baby. I get a lot of comments about his hair. I talk about his hair a lot. There is a certain pressure - probably mostly in my head - to not ruin his hair. So, after a year of being home, we decided to trim the curls. I looked for a place around home to get Micah's hair cut. I was unsuccessful. I will leave my methods unmentioned for now. I certainly did not drive around on Tuesday afternoon saying "are there any black people in there?" to Makenzie. Thursday and Friday we made the trek to North Carolina. By the time we arrived, Micah's hair was completely matted to the back of his head from all the time in the car seat. My sister, Jennifer , recommended a barber shop where my nephew had gotten his hair cut. This place was a major throw back to the 50's. It was incredible! The barbers were hilarious and were super cute with Micah. We tried to get some good before and after pictures, but Sophie got a hold of the camera and was doing some major paparazzi work!
Sophie taking pictures of random patrons.
Here we go....
At least Mom is smiling!
My favorite! This is the guy who cut Micah's hair. He was obviously super happy about the photo shoot.


3 comments:

Julie Neal said...

Where is the after pic of this cute boy? The one you sent me was soooo cute!! I like the random pics of others getting their hair cut!! Sophie is so funny- I love that kid!!

Pathway Christian Cooperative said...

This memory still makes me smile. You failed to mention that it was 95 degree in there, but maybe that's just my memory :). Love it!

Julie Neal said...

Did you always have that first one of him on Sophie's chair? He looks like a big boy- I need to smooch his checks!!